Holidays can be the most stressful time of the year. Did you know the average weight gain during the holidays is 6 pounds? I want to help you stay healthy during the holidays and avoid gaining weight while still enjoying them.
First of all, gaining weight doesn’t happen all in one day. It is a cumulative effect starting at Thanksgiving, the day after Thanksgiving with the leftovers and then on to the holiday parties. And well, if you are like most people you tell yourself, “I will start fresh in the New Year.” But why not start NOW?
Tips To Stay Healthy During The Holidays Without Gaining Weight
- Enjoy your meals. Yes, it is fine to eat but the key is to actually be mindful of what you are eating. Sometimes we are stressed and that is why we overeat and sometimes we eat specific food because that is what you do during the Holidays. Eat real whole plant-based foods with some protein. Stay away from processed foods or limit yourself. But enjoy your meal and don’t stress over it.
- Try Intermittent Fasting.
- Limit your alcohol. Alcohol can add on the pounds just as quickly as anything. We also overindulge in the wrong foods when we overindulge in alcohol. Enjoy a glass of wine or a cocktail but limit yourself to 1 or 2 a week. I have actually gone Alcohol-Free and feel better than ever. Listen to my podcast “Let’s Talk About our Relationship with Alcohol” with my friend Jenn aka Sober Sis.
- Drink lots of water. We need lots of water. Hydration is so important. Sometimes we confuse hunger with being thirsty. In my post 3 Actions To Take Today To Age Beautifully, I share the benefits of water.
- Get plenty of sleep. Sleep and rest are important every day. Make sure you are getting enough sleep and rest so you will have the energy to get through the holidays. If you have trouble with sleep or don’t understand the role sleep plays in your health check out this Importance of Sleep podcast with Christina Pierpaoli Parker.
- Move. Try to stick with your regular exercise plan. Even better is to do your workout first thing in the morning before you eat anything. If you can’t squeeze it in that day just keep moving. Take the stairs, park further away from your office or the mall. Whatever, you need to do to keep yourself moving.
Healthy Holiday Party Tips
- Don’t go hungry. Eat something healthy before you go so you won’t be hungry. This is especially important if you know there will not be healthy options.
- Bring a dish. Offer to bring your favorite “healthy” appetizer. A charcuterie board is a great option. Check out my girl, Meredith from The Southern Source on How To Make A Cheese Board That Everyone Will Love.
- Alternate alcohol and water (or sparkling soda). Enjoy a glass of wine or cocktail and then drink a glass of water. Limit yourself to 2. You will feel so much better the next day.
Will you be traveling during the holidays? Check out this post on Healthy Eating When You Travel.
Are you looking for accountability and a sustainable lifestyle to help you feel and look your best? Check out my new program Balance.
What will you be doing to stay healthy through the holidays?